<br /> <font size='1'><table class='xdebug-error xe-notice' dir='ltr' border='1' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='1'> <tr><th align='left' bgcolor='#f57900' colspan="5"><span style='background-color: #cc0000; color: #fce94f; font-size: x-large;'>( ! )</span> Notice: Undefined variable: page_title in C:\wamp64\www\public_html\mobile\includes\header.php on line <i>4</i></th></tr> <tr><th align='left' bgcolor='#e9b96e' colspan='5'>Call Stack</th></tr> <tr><th align='center' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>#</th><th align='left' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>Time</th><th align='left' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>Memory</th><th align='left' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>Function</th><th align='left' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>Location</th></tr> <tr><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='center'>1</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='center'>0.0114</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='right'>246888</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec'>{main}( )</td><td title='C:\wamp64\www\public_html\mobile\faq.php' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>...\faq.php<b>:</b>0</td></tr> <tr><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='center'>2</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='center'>0.0116</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec' align='right'>249824</td><td bgcolor='#eeeeec'>include( <font color='#00bb00'>'C:\wamp64\www\public_html\mobile\includes\header.php'</font> )</td><td title='C:\wamp64\www\public_html\mobile\faq.php' bgcolor='#eeeeec'>...\faq.php<b>:</b>10</td></tr> </table></font>

Frequently Asked Questions

What number do I call for court information?

The number for the Information Center is (316) 660-5900. The Information Center has a staff of 5 very knowledgeable District Court clerks who are very helpful in answering questions.

Can the clerks at the Information Center or in the clerk's office assist me with legal information?

None of the clerks in any office can give legal advice. The following agencies can assist you with legal questions:
     Kansas Legal Services' justice advice line: (316) 265-0033
     Kansas Bar Association's KS Lawyer referral service and advice line: (316) 265-1247 or (800) 928-3111

What are your hours?

The clerks offices are open 8:00am to 4:00pm.

How do I get copies?

When requesting information, please be as specific as possible. Include case number (if available), type of case and specific documents requested. Include name(s) of parties, dates of birth, social security numbers and date or approximate date of filing. The dates of birth and social security numbers are to help us verify we are giving you the correct information for the party you are requesting information on.

Can I look up records myself?

Public computers are available 8:00am to 4:00pm on the 6th floor, Records Department, at the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main.

What is the cost for getting or receiving copies of records?

Where can I go for a background check on someone?

Background checks are performed by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation: (785) 296-8200.

Can I pick my check up?

No, all payments are processed through the Kansas Payment Center in Topeka:

        Kansas Payment Center
        PO Box 758599
        Topeka, KS 66675-8599

phone: (877) 572-5722
website: http://www.kspaycenter.com/

Back to Top

Can I get on a list to pick up my check each month?

No, payments are now processed through the payment center in Topeka (see question above).

Why is my check less than what my payor paid?

There is a fee deducted for Court Trustee (CT).

Do you have direct deposit?

Contact the Kansas Payment Center for direct deposit.

        Kansas Payment Center
        PO Box 758599
        Topeka, KS 66675-8599

phone: (877) 572-5722
website: http://www.kspaycenter.com/

Back to Top

What is my child support balance?

We do not keep balances, check with your attorney or enforcement agency.

What is the balance of my arrearage?

We do not keep balances, check with your attorney or enforcement agency.

Why is my check less this month?

The main reason is that not enough funds were received from the payor. We only post what we receive.

Why does my money go to an SRS agency?

ADC or other cases receiving some type of services from SRS child support enforcement unit are sent to the SRS office.

How can I get my child support lowered or increased?

Motion packet forms are available in the forms section, click here to go to Forms. Completed forms are filed with the clerk's office on the 7th floor at 525 N. Main. There is also a filing fee of $62.00 for post decree motions re: child support, visitation (parenting time) and custody. Although not required, it is recommended that you hire an attorney for this procedure.

What do I do to get my payor to pay?

Contact the Court Trustee office on the 7th floor of the courthouse or by calling 660-5833.

What do I do to change my address?

Address changes must be in writing. They can be mailed. We will need case number, payors name, payees name, old address, and new address. Mailing address:

        Family Law, 7th floor
        525 N. Main
        Wichita, KS 67203

How do I get a restraining order?

We have what are called Protection from Abuse cases and Protection From Stalking cases, call Family Court Services at 660-5900 to see if you qualify. The forms and short videos on the process are available here.

How do I get a copy of my divorce papers?

Copies can be obtained either by appearing in person at the courthouse and requesting them, or by mailing your request to the Records department. You may also email your request to micro@dc18.org.

How do I get a divorce without being represented by counsel?

Forms and instructions are available on this website in the Forms section, click here to go to Forms. The filing fee is $197.00

How do I file a motion?

Motion packets are available at the Family Law department in the Courthouse. If you are outside the Wichita area, you can find them in the Forms section, click here to go to Forms. There is a filing fee of $62.00 for post decree motions re: child support, visitation (parenting time) and custody.

When do I pay filing fee for motions?

There is a $62.00 fee for post judgment motions on divorce cases to modify custody, visitation (parenting time), or child support.

Can I view a document that has been scanned?

There are public PC's located in the Records department on the 6th floor that can be used to view documents that have been filed and scanned.

I am the defendant in a civil case.   Will the court appoint a lawyer to represent me?

No.  The right to appointed counsel applies only in criminal cases.  In civil cases, each party generally must pay his or her own attorney's fees.

I own a small business which is organized as a corporation.  Since I own all of the stock and run the company, can I represent my business in court?

No.  Kansas law permits only individual persons the right to represent themselves in court proceedings.  A corporation is a separate legal entity and may appear in court only through a licensed attorney.

My wife and I have been sued in civil court and set the case for trial.  Can I appear on behalf of my wife so that she may go to work on the trial date?

No.  Non-lawyers may represent only themselves in court proceedings.  Your spouse may not represent you in court.

Can I sign a power of attorney and appoint some other person as my designated representative in a lawsuit?

No.  There are four categories of individuals who may appear in the courts of this state:  (1) members of the bar who have licenses to practice law; (2) individuals who have graduated from an accredited law school and have a temporary permit to practice law; (3) legal interns, who are law students supervised by members of the bar responsible for the interns' activities;
(4) non-lawyers, who may represent only themselves and not others.

What is the fee for a marriage license?

The fee for a marriage license is $85.50 payable by cash, credit card, or debit card (no checks).

How can I get an official copy of my marriage certificate?

You must contact the KDHE’s Vital Statistics office in Topeka, Kansas. Contact information: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, 1000 SW Jackson Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612 Telephone: 785-296-1400. Visit their website for more information: http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/vital.

Back to Top

How can I get an official copy of a death certificate?

In order to obtain a copy of a death certificate, contact Vital Statistics in Topeka at 785-296-1400, or you may visit their website at http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/vital.

How do I get married at the courthouse?

There are several judges that perform wedding ceremonies at the courthouse. A list of judges can be obtained by the bride and/or groom when application is made for the marriage license. The couple will need to set an appointment with a judge and can be married after the marriage license has been purchased.

What is the process to get a marriage license?

First, the bride and/or groom can either fill out and print the online form; bring it to the Records Department, located on the 6th floor or apply in person for a marriage license in the Records Department, located on the 6th floor. There, he/she will be asked for legal names, dates of birth, and social security numbers for both the bride and the groom. Also, during the application process, a worksheet will be given to the couple to take home and fill out. After waiting a minimum of three calendar days, the bride and/or groom will need to return the completed worksheet in person to the Records Department, located on the 6th floor. A marriage license clerk will type the marriage license and the bride/groom will leave with the marriage license that same day.

Where is the Marriage License office located and what are the office hours?

The Marriage License office is located on the 6th floor in the Records Department, at the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N Main, Wichita, KS. Office hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays. NOTE: If a wedding ceremony is scheduled with a judge for 5:00pm or after, the bride and/or groom must be in the Marriage License office before 4:00pm to purchase their marriage license. A marriage license is required when the couple arrives at the ceremony.

What is the waiting period before I can get married again?

In Kansas the waiting period is 30 days after the Decree of Divorce has been filed.

Where is the Probate office located and what are the office hours?

The Probate department is located at the Juvenile and Probate Courthouse, 1900 East Morris, Wichita, KS. Office hours are 8-4 Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

How do I file a mental/drug/or alcohol petition?

Contact the District Attorney's office at 660-3600.

Who do I call if I have a ticket from the city police?

For inquires regarding traffic tickets issued by city police, please call 268-4611.

 18th Judicial District Court
Copyright 1998-2018
18th Judicial District